Reasons Why Women Choose Hymen Repair
Hymen repair (hymenoplasty) is sought after for many reasons. They range from physical to cultural. Whatever the reasons, it’s a very private matter and always the woman’s decision. Our double board-certified urogynecologists are experts in female pelvic health and are here to help.
What is a Hymen?
The hymen is a ring-shaped membrane of human tissue that begins to form in females in utero, and partially or completely covers the vaginal opening. In simple terms, hymen repair, or Hymenoplasty, is the cosmetic restoration of the hymen after rupture.REQUEST A FREE CONSULTATION
What Causes a Ruptured Hymen?
The main cause of the rupture of the hymen is sexual intercourse, however there are other everyday activities that may cause the hymen to tear or rupture. These include strenuous athletics, horseback or bicycle riding, internal gynecological exams, or even tampon insertion. And in some instances, a woman may not be born with one.
Why Would a Woman Choose to Have her Hymen Repaired?
There are numerous reasons a woman may choose to have her hymen repaired. The reasons can be physical, psychological, and/or cultural.
- Unintentional rupture-A woman may feel she wants her hymen repaired if the hymen was unintentionally damaged via an activity, tampon insertion, etc.
- Being born with a hymen condition can cause a woman to seek hymen repair. Examples:
- Imperforate hymen-The entire vaginal opening is covered by the hymen and may cause the menstrual flow to be blocked.
- Septate hymen-The hymenal tissue is split into what looks like rope-like bands. This may impede tampon use or penile penetration.
- Microperforate hymen- A microperforate hymen is similar to an imperforate hymen. It has a small opening only big enough to permit menstrual flow. This isn’t usually a problem unless a female wishes to use tampons.
- Enhancement of sexual pleasure: After childbirth, the vaginal muscles may weaken. Flaccidity also occurs over time with age. Hymen repair can tighten these muscles and have given some women the added benefit of a more sensually stimulating sexual experience.
- Reclaiming control- In the case of sexual assault, a woman can understandably be left with traumatic psychological issues. She may feel that she was robbed of not only her innocence, but the opportunity to present an intact hymen to the person of her choice. Hymenoplasty may not only offer the physical restoration she seeks but may also supply some psychological comfort and healing as well.
- Burying the past- Sexual curiosity and experimentation are a natural part of the growing process, especially during adolescence when hormonal changes and surges occur. Peer pressure may often compel a young girl to succumb to sexual activity before she’s mentally prepared for the emotional impact associated with such physical intimacy. As she matures, she may feel regretful that she indulged in that curiosity too early or too often and may seek to bury evidence of what she might, in retrospect, view as bad judgment. Hymen repair may psychologically allow her to turn back the clock and start over.
Cultural or Religious Reasons
It is important to understand that cultures differ, and social norms accepted by one culture or country may not be deemed acceptable to another. Virginity may be a requirement for marriage in some cultures and hymen repair will cause bleeding upon penetration, thus “proving” that the bride is a virgin. Engaging in premarital sex is not only considered dishonoring to the families, but in certain cultures it is even considered a crime and the consequences range from annulment, divorce, or death.
Request more information now!
Patients Share Their Hymen Repair Results
“Due to the religious stigma of having in intact hymen, I had a hymen repair before my recent marriage. The procedure was a success and my marriage events passed off normally.”
“The recovery was not bad at all. I felt better the next day and I was walking around with very little pain. No one could even tell I had just had surgery, which allowed me to keep it private. The outcome and the experience were well worth it.”
“Because of a separated hymen, I recently had a repair done. I was nervous about having this done but it ended up being the best decision. I feel like I got my life back.”
Why Choose Cherokee Women’s Health for Hymen Repair?
Our double board-certified surgeons are both urogynecologists and OB/GYNs, and are beyond question the most qualified experts in female vaginal anatomy. Your vaginal surgery results are only as good as your surgeon’s experience and skills. They are also certified in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery (FPMRS), a highly coveted accreditation which requires years of training while meeting strict requirements set forth by the American Board of Medicine (ABMS).
Depending on why you might request hymen repair, this may be a delicate subject to discuss. Rest assured that our doctors are familiar with the many reasons patients ask for this procedure, and fully understand the discomfort and shyness regarding this subject. Your surgery is a private matter — it’s your body. We want to help make you as comfortable and confident with it as possible.
To learn more about hymen repair or to schedule a consultation with one of our doctors, please call 770.721.6060.