Although every woman experiences her period differently, a normal, healthy period is defined by a few standard criteria.
- Occurs about every 25-31 days
- Lasts 4-5 days
- Totals 2-3 tablespoons
Abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB):
- Can last longer than 7 days
- May require frequent change of protection, or double protection
- May include large blood clots in your flow
- May cause tiredness, fatigue or shortness of breath (symptoms of anemia)
You might be surprised to find out that studies show that “heavy periods” mean more than heavy bleeding. If your periods are interfering with your everyday life, we recommend taking the short quiz below, and sharing the results at your next appointment.
Heavy Bleeding Quiz
- Does your period last longer than seven days?
- Do you use more than three pads or tampons per day?
- Do heavy periods affect your social life, fitness, or your sexual intimacy?
- Do you miss work because of your periods?
- Are you done with (not planning on) child-bearing?
Ablation, a Ten Minute Office Procedure Offers Easy Solution
In many cases, we can eliminate heavy bleeding with a simple office procedure called an ablation. This recent innovation for treating heavy periods has made a huge difference in the lives of many of our patients. We feel it is one of the best examples of an effective use of modern technology to improve a woman’s overall sense of well-being.
There are a variety of technologies for ablations, but basically this painless office treatment using Novasure reduces the lining of the uterus using either sub-zero temperatures or heat. Your menstrual flow will be greatly reduced, or sometimes eliminated completely. Ultrasound is used to help guide this treatment procedure, performed right in our office.
If you are through with child-bearing and feel that heavy periods are interfering with your life, schedule a consultation appointment today. Call 770.720.7733.
Established patients have the added convenience of requesting an appointment online.
Request a Consultation
- A Doctor She Can Trust: One Patient's Liposuction Story
- Celebrating One Year of Medical Weight Loss
- Life Lessons: A Veteran On Starting Over, and Looking for Happiness
- Trying to Conceive: Your "Get-Pregnant" Checklist
“Dr. Litrel was a fantastic doctor. I had my first exam with him, although at first I was skeptical about a male doctor for my GYN. But after I met him I’m glad I kept an open mind, and I couldn’t have dreamed up a better doctor. He cares about you as a person and not just a patient. The front desk ladies and nurses were very friendly and it’s a great office, very clean and not intimidating. I highly recommend Cherokee Women’s Health.”